Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Ringing in 2008

By: Chinookwife

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it (Prov 22:6)

Raising children these days is one of the hardest jobs there is, but raising children while livng a military life style adds an extra zest to the job. Ringing in 2008 meant a whole lot more to me this year, then just ringing in a new year. My oldest is 17, a Senior in High School, and about to leave for college in less then a year. As I said Happy New year to all my guest at my house last night. I came around to my daughter who was standing with her boyfriend. Tears filled my eyes and all I could do was hold her. 2008 means letting go, it means having faith in the scripture I've always stood on for my children, it means watching my daughter spread her wings and fly on her own.
I'm finding out raising our children is hard,but I'm finding letting go is even harder.Being there to watch them fall and being there to pick them up. Letting them go to make their own mistakes, to deal with a world that isn't always caring, to grow into their own individual.
I've raised Grace in a stable, loving, God- fearing home. Standing on scripture, while teaching her, and during deployments; using my faith to show her God's love is perfect.
So 2008 brings the time, I stand in faith on Proverbs 22:6. Knowing she may turn from her teachings, Knowing she will make her mistakes, knowing she will fall and grow while she is learning. In the end I stand knowing she will not depart from her teachings, what she knows and what is right and wrong.
We as parents want to protect our children at all ages of their lives, but there comes a time when we have to let go and rely on how we've raised them. Our children, are a product of us, what we teach them, show them and how we love them should ultimatly show them christ love. One day all of you will be at a turning point of a new year, watching your babies leave your home and relying on God and scripture to hold on to. When it comes to that new year, will you be able to have that peace, that what you've taught your child will be something you don't want them to depart from?

No comments: