Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Growing Up Way Too Fast

By: Stephanie


I am in a reflective mood today. My oldest daughter turned 10 years old today. I cannot believe how fast this time has flown by. I remember going into the hospital to have her. I was so scared and excited at the same time. After all, I didn't know nothing about birthin' no babies! And I sure didn't know anything about raising them! I was only 22 when she was born. That was just a few short years since I said I would never even have children. I didn't know what to do when she cried. I was scared to bathe her or cut her nails! But I was filled with SO much love for her the very moment I laid eyes on her. I knew at that moment that God had given me a precious gift and I was supposed to protect and love her no matter what! I was so worried that I was going to mess up. I wanted to be the perfect parent to her! Well, after ten years of being a parent, I can say I have messed up! Lots of times! I will never be a perfect parent, but I strive everyday to be the best one I can be.

It's not always easy. My kids sometimes make it very hard for me to be patient and gentle and loving. But whoever said that parenting was easy, never had children of their own. My kids are little people, little individuals with ideas and feelings and attitudes all their own. I need to encourage their creativity and be their cheerleader at soccer games. I need to brag on them ALL the time. I don't want to put more on them than they can handle, but I want to push them to be all they can be. I need to be there to hold their hand when they cross the street and pick up the pieces of a newly broken heart. I know that they won't always come to me, but I will ALWAYS be here if they need me. I will show my children how to love by loving their dad with all my heart. They will know that no marriage is perfect, but it can be the most amazing thing they will ever know.

I am so blessed that God has entrusted me with three amazing children to look after. I will do my best to raise them to show kindness, consideration, tolerance, and most of all, to have a personal relationship with our Heavenly Father.

No comments: